Things You Will Need
- Kirby vacuum
- Carpet stain remover spray
- Kirby shampooer system
- Kirby carpet shampoo
- Kirby Vacuum
- Kirby hose attachment with surface nozzle and extension tube
- Kirby Foam Carpet and Fabric Cleaner
- Soft scrub brush
Kirby vacuums are known for their classic design and durability. The company also manufactures an attachment for shampooing carpets.
This system fits many models, including Generations 3 through 6, the Ultimate G, the Diamond Edition and the Sentria. The carpet shampooing attachment is not suitable for cleaning small surfaces, such as stair steps, however the Kirby company does manufactures a spray foam called Kirby Foam Carpet and Fabric Cleaner, which they recommend for such areas.
- Dry-vacuum the carpet first to remove all loose debris and dirt.
- Spot treat any carpet stains with a carpet stain remover spray.
- Remove the vacuum nozzle head by turning the knob on the front of the nozzle to match the red arrows.
- Turn the knob on the system nozzle to match the green arrows. Connect the system nozzle to the system tray and brush roll by sliding the nozzle over the tray. Push up on the belt in the nozzle with your finger and turn the knob to match the red arrows.
- Press the height pedal on the vacuum cleaner to raise the vacuum to its highest position.
- Attach the system nozzle where the vacuum nozzle was removed and lock it into place by turning the accessory lock clockwise. Turn the knob on the front of the nozzle to match the green arrows.
- Unhook and remove the vacuum bag according to the specifications of your model.
- Fill the shampoo system tank with warm or cold water and add 1 capful of Kirby shampoo per marked increment on the side of the tank.
- Insert the tank in place of the vacuum bag.
- Connect one end of the system hose to the tank and the other end to the tray.
- Step on the pedal to lower the machine all the way.
- Turn on the vacuum and turn the knob on the tank to the &#039;on&#039; position.
- Spread foam on the carpet by slowly pulling the vacuum backwards. Work in small sections and allow the foam to sit for at least three minutes.
- Turn off the foam by turning the knob on the tank to the &lsquo;off&rsquo; position. Go back over the treated area to suck up the foam.
- Step on the vacuum pedal to raise the vacuum as high as possible.
- Remove the nozzle by turning the knob on the front to match the red arrows and turning the accessory lock counter-clockwise.
- Twist on the vacuum hose attachment over the hole where the vacuum nozzle was attached. Use the vacuum hose with the surface nozzle to dry vacuum your stairs. Use the vacuum hose with the extension tube to get in to corners.
- Work in small sections at a time and spray Kirby Foam Carpet and Fabric Cleaner evenly on the steps. Work the foam into the carpeting with a soft bristle scrub brush. After the foam has sat on the carpeting for about 5 minutes, blot it up with clean, damp towel.
- Leave the stairs to dry and do not let anyone walk on them. Once dry, vacuum the stairs again using the Kirby with the hose attachment.