Things You Will Need
- Vacuum with fine attachment
- Warm water
- Dishwasher natural detergent
- White absorbent cloths
- Brass velvet brush
Crushed velvet is a popular fabric, often used in clothing, bags and upholstery. It may be a daunting task to clean a large item, such as a sofa, especially if there is a bad stain.
It is best to minimize staining by taking precautions such as putting a throw over a crushed velvet sofa if children are visiting, or when you are throwing a party. Crushed velvet is a weave that may be composed of many fabrics.
- Remove any superficial dirt using the brush attachment of the vacuum. Do this gently and carefully. Cover or remove any metal attachments before applying any cleaning agents. Mix 1/2 tsp. of natural dishwater detergent with water. Always test this on a piece of superfluous material before applying to the garment or piece of furniture.
- Gently apply the suds only to the area you want to clean, rubbing in with a brush in the direction of the nap. Do not use a lot of water, as this will damage the crushed velvet effect. Using a cloth, apply just a little water to rinse off the detergent and blot between each application with the piece of absorbent white cloth.
- Allow the garment or piece of furniture to dry thoroughly before brushing with a brass velvet brush. Alternatively, use a dry cleaning solution, following the instructions carefully. Steam the garment afterwards, using a travel-size steamer and hang to dry. Do not disturb for 24 hours.