Things You Will Need
- Washing machine
- Spray bottle
- Laundry detergent
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Vacuum cleaner
Textiles absorb odors quickly, so whether you have smelly clothing that needs cleaned or draperies that have absorbed smoke odor, you want to remove the smells without damaging the fabric. There are a couple of natural deodorizing elements that use no chemical agents to remove odors, making them work well on fabrics and clothing.
Machine Washable Fabrics
- Place the washable items in your washing machine, and add your regular laundry detergent.
- Pour 1 cup baking soda into the washing machine as an added deodorizer.
- Wait for the rinse cycle, then pour 1 cup of white vinegar into the washing machine. The vinegar is an added deodorizing agent.
- Dry the items as normal.
Non-Machine Washable Fabrics
- Sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda over furniture, carpeting and similar items. Let it sit overnight.
- Vacuum the surface the next morning to remove the baking soda.
- Pour white vinegar into a spray bottle, and mist it over smelly fabrics. This works especially well on carpeting, upholstery fabrics and draperies. Let the vinegar air-dry, and repeat as needed.