Things You Will Need
- Organopolysiloxane waterproofing treatment
- Blow dryer
Waterproof a padlock to keep it rust-free and prolong its life. Outdoor padlocks are vulnerable to the elements.
Waterproofing can minimize corrosion. A newly patented solution called organopolysiloxane waterproofing treatment is a safe way to waterproof a padlock.
According to the University of Southern California, “the subject waterproofing method is simple, cost-effective, relatively non-toxic and non-volatile and saves time in application” Save yourself time and money by waterproofing a padlock.
Application of organopolysiloxane
- Pour three ounces of organopolysiloxane in a cup.
- Unlock the padlock. Leave it open to waterproof all its parts.
- Pick up the padlock with pliers. This prevents direct contact with the organopolysiloxane treatment solution.
- Dip the unlocked padlock into the organopolysiloxane solution. Cover all parts of the padlock in the solution.
- Blow dry the padlock. Set the blow dryer to the highest heat setting. Heat accelerates the waterproofing process.
If skin comes in contact with the organopolysiloxane treatment solution, immediately wash with soap and water.