Things You Will Need
- Mold fogging product
- Plastic sheets
- P100 respirator
Eradicating a mold infestation from a large area of your home, such as your basement or garage, can be a real challenge if you're scrubbing on your hands and knees. An easier solution is to fog your house for mold.
This process is completed by using a mold fogging product similar to foggers designed for insect infestations. Take some cautions, however, when using mold fogging products.
- Purchase a mold fogging product that is registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Make sure it’s safe for use indoors.
- Thoroughly dry the area with mold infestation. Operate multiple fans and a dehumidifier when necessary to eliminate all moisture.
- Tape up large plastic sheets to isolate the area from any other areas of your home.
- Draw chalk lines on the floor in areas measuring 15-by-15 feet, the area that can be fogged at one time.
- Put on goggles, gloves and a P100 respirator that includes an organic vapor cartridge.
- Follow all instructions for loading the fungicide into the fogger. Place it in the center of one of your 15-foot square areas. Turn on the fogger.
- Allow it to operate for 30 to 45 minutes. Leave the area while the fogger runs.
- Turn off the fogger, move it to the next area and operate for another 30 to 45 minutes. Continue this process until the mold fogging product is distributed in every marked-off area.
- Let the area ventilate fully before you reinhabit it.