How to Get Rid of Mold & Mildew on Aluminum Windows
Mold is a type of fungi, a live plant. Like all fungi, it produces spores, which float through the air and are inhaled into the lungs. These spores can cause reactions in people with mold allergies, including a runny nose, sneezing, headache and even trouble breathing. Mildew can cause a similar reaction.
Mold and mildew can be especially dangerous to infants, young children and elderly adults. Mold and mildew grow on windows when condensation collects on the inside of windows and drips down the pane. If you have mold on your aluminum windows, you should take the following steps to remove it as soon as possible.
Things You Will Need
- Laundry detergent
- Scrub brush
- Spray bottle
- Dry cloth
If you don't want to prepare your own mold and mildew remover solution, you can buy bottles of mold and mildew remover at any store.
Do not mix bleach with any other products, especially those that contain acids or ammonia.
Protect yourself before cleaning up the mold. Wear a mask and gloves, open windows to allow fresh air in and remove young children from the area.
Protect nearby surfaces with newspaper or a tarp. Clean the surface of the window and frame with a mixture of water and laundry detergent. Use a stiff scrub brush to loosen the dirt.
Prepare a mixture of bleach and water. Use 1 cup of bleach per 10 cups of water. Place the mixture in a spray bottle and spray the mold and mildew thoroughly. Let sit for 10 minutes or so.
Rinse the bleach off with clear, cool water. Use another spray bottle or a bucket. Take care not to splash the mold or bleach on nearby surfaces; mold will stain black, and bleach will remove color.
Dry the window quickly and completely with a rag or even a fan. Open the window, if you can, to allow it to dry more quickly. Do not let moisture sit on the window, or mold may begin to form again.
The Drip Cap
- Mold is a type of fungi, a live plant.
- Protect nearby surfaces with newspaper or a tarp.
- Use a stiff scrub brush to loosen the dirt.
- Place the mixture in a spray bottle and spray the mold and mildew thoroughly.
- Open the window, if you can, to allow it to dry more quickly.