How to Get the Odor Out of Moldy Clothes
You might notice a moldy odor on your clothes if you leave a wet load of laundry inside your washing machine for several hours or overnight. Simply washing the clothes using laundry detergent might not completely remove the moldy smell from the clothes, and the smell may linger unless you take extra action.
A common household product, vinegar, can help remove such odors from your laundry.
Place the moldy clothes into your washing machine.
Add 2-3 cups of white distilled vinegar into the machine.
Run the washing machine on the “hot” cycle for normal garments. Run the washing machine on the “cold” cycle if you are washing delicate items.
Add 1 cup of liquid laundry detergent into the washing machine as soon as the first cycle ends.
Run the washing machine on a normal cycle.
Dry your clothes as normal, either in the dryer or by letting them air-dry. Inspect the clothes after they've fully dried, and repeat the process if you still notice a mold odor.
Things You Will Need
- Washing machine
- White distilled vinegar
- Liquid laundry detergent
If desired, add liquid fabric softener to the washing machine when you run the second wash cycle.
- How to Clean the Drum in a Roper Washing Machine
- How to Remove the Washing Machine Cover on a Kenmore Elite
- How to Fix Memory Foam That Is Ripped
- How to Remove Sweat Stains From Tee Shirts
- How to Remove the Closed Captioning on a Magnavox 27Mt3305/17 TV Without the Original Remote
- How to Remove Mud From Clothes Dried in a Dryer