Spray Painting Wood Furniture
- Wash the piece of furniture with warm soap and water. Let it dry completely.
- Sand wood furniture lightly before painting.
- Stand 1 to 2 feet away from the piece of furniture.
- Use wide sweeping motions with the spray can, 12 to 24 inches away from the piece of furniture. Spraying too closely will result in drips.
- Apply the first coat, and let it dry thoroughly before applying a second coat.
- Seal wooden furniture with a clear spray polyurethane.
Spray Painting Plastic Furniture
- Wash and dry plastic furniture thoroughly before painting.
- Select a spray paint that is specifically designed for plastic furniture.
- Use wide sweeping motions when painting plastic furniture while holding the can 12 to 24 inches from the piece to avoid drips.
- Allow the paint to completely dry before applying the next coat.
- Let plastic furniture sit overnight before using it.
- Always work in a well ventilated area when using spray paint.
- Many spray paints designed for plastics claim "1 coat coverage." Be prepared to apply 2 to 3 coats for a paint job that will last.