- Decide why you want to buy a Quonset hut and what purpose it will serve. This will help in determining what size and shape of structure to buy. Quonset huts come in two styles: "full arch" and "loaf of bread" or "mailbox." The "full arch" has the traditional semi-circle shape, while the "mailbox" has straight walls and a curved roof. The "full arch" walls can hold more weight, but the "mailbox" offers more decorative space.
- Check the zoning regulations with your local government. There may be restrictions on size and appearance of your new building depending on where you live. You don't want to end up with a building you're not even allowed to have on the property.
- Search the Internet and phone directory book for companies that sell Quonset huts. You will have better luck finding companies if you expand your search to companies that sell steel buildings in general and specify to them that you want a Quonset hut during the information gathering process.
- Gather information from the prospective companies. Quonset huts are available in a variety of options, some of which will improve their quality. Information to obtain from each company should include size of available huts, prices, type of steel, the thickness of the steel, end wall configuration, foundation attachments, door options, interior height, and how much on-site assembly is necessary.
- Compare the notes you have taken from each company and start narrowing down your selections. Decide which factors are most important to you and compare the building based on those factors. Narrow your list of potential companies down to three or four.
- Reflect on your experiences so far with each company that remains on your list. The company you will be purchasing from should play a factor in your decision. The way the company treats you prior to your purchase is likely the way they will treat you after the purchase. You may need help or have questions after you buy your Quonset hut, so a company you trust should factor into your decision. Companies that have been in business for a long time are likely to have better customer service and proven track record. This should carry some weight in your deliberation.
- Decide which company and Quonset hut you would like to purchase. Contact them and complete the purchase. Details about delivery and any questions you may have should also be answered at this time.
- You get what you pay for, so don't rush you decision to buy a Quonset hut.