- Look on the door latch to determine the brand of lock. Purchase the same brand of lock to keep from making any adjustments to the door.
- Take the measurement of your door's backset. Measure from the latch of the door to the center of the door knob. Standard measurements are 2 3/8 inch to 2 3/4 inch.
- Remove the screws from the old door lock. Pull each half of the lock out of the door after the screws are removed.
- Remove the screws from the edge of the door. Remove the old lock.
- Insert the new lock. Insert the screws into the edge of the door and secure tightly.
- Put the front and back of the lock back together inside the door. Reinsert the screws and secure them tightly.
Things You Will Need
- New door lock
- If the internal lock pieces are the same brand and size, you do not have to replace them.
- When replacing the entire lock, glue wooden golf tees into the screw holes on the edge of the door. Snap off the top of the tees and insert the new screws.