- Wash the wine bottle to remove any leftover residue. Remove the label from the outside of the bottle. Mark the side of the bottle below the neck to indicate the cutting point.
- Place the bottle in the clamps and score the top of the bottle with the rotary tool. Do not cut all the way through. Turn the bottle as you are scoring it to make a straight line all the way around.
- Place a lit candle on the table. Hold the scored part of the bottle over the candle and rotate it. You need to wear gloves as the bottle becomes hot. Heat the bottle for about one minute and then pour cold water slowly on the area. Repeat this process until the bottle breaks at the scored mark. This takes 5 to 10 minutes. Be patient and careful so you do not break the bottle.
- Line the edge of the glass with duct tape. Do not place duct tape over the top of the glass. Use the rotary tool to smooth out the edges of the drinking glass. The duct tape protects the sides of the glass from shattering.
- Remove the duct tape. Wash your glass. It is now ready to use.
Things You Will Need
- 1 wine or champagne bottle
- Bottle cutting clamp or "C" clamps with fabric on the clamps
- Rotary tool
- 1 candle
- Duct tape
- Etch the sides of the glass with liquid etch and a stencil to create personalized drinking glasses from wine bottles.