- Check with your city or county to see whether you need a permit to do the work. You'll probably need to bring your plans to the appropriate building department in order to apply for one.
- Replace the garage door with a wall that blends well with the rest of the home's exterior.
- Find out the status of the current plumbing and electricity in the garage. It may be pretty basic and require some extra attention. To keep things up to code, hire licensed professionals to work in these areas.
- Have the electrician and plumber do their part of the job that involves the walls, and then insulate and sheet rock those walls.
- Brush or roll on interior paint. If it's a recreation room, make sure the paint is easy to wipe clean.
- Choose a material to place on the floor. You have a wide choice, from linoleum and carpet to tiles and matting designed especially for concrete floors.
- Install electrical fixtures and plumbing appliances, or have the professionals back in to do this work.
Things You Will Need
- Building plans
- Materials for exterior wall
- Flooring material
- Plumbing and electrical fixtures
- Before you convert your whole garage into a room, check with your city or county to see whether street parking and/or a carport is permitted.