- Remove the screw from the knob of the shower valve. Pull the knob directly away from the wall to remove it. These are often hard to remove. If it is stuck, a gear puller will help. If you do not have access to a gear puller, place a piece of 1-inch thick lumber against the shower wall or tile to protect it, insert the claw end of a hammer behind the knob, and pry it toward you.
- Use a wrench to remove the threaded metal sleeve that is around the shower valve. Cut away any caulking that is in the way so you can get to the shower valve.
- Use a wrench to unscrew the shower valve and pull it out. Take the old shower valve with you for reference and go to a home improvement or plumbing supply store to buy a replacement valve.
- Screw the new valve into place and tighten with a wrench. Check the alignment so that the shower position and tub postion of the valve are how you want them. Reattach the metal sleeve and tighten with the wrench.
- Re-apply caulking to seal off any gaps and prevent water from leaking inside the shower walls. Screw back on the shower knob.
How to Replace a Shower Valve
If you went to step into your shower this morning and were met with a broken shower valve, or you have been dealing with this nuisance for a while now, you don't have to procrastinate any longer. This project does not require that you call in a professional plumber. With a few tools and a little direction, you can repair that shower valve yourself and have it working as good as new.
Things You Will Need
- How to Replace the Washer in the Shower Diverter Valve
- How to Remove a Moen Dialcet
- How to Repair an Old Shower Faucet
- How to Move the Shower Stall to the Opposite Side of the Wall
- Repair Instructions for a Moen Shower Faucet
- How to Install a Delta Shower Valve
- How Do I Replace a Shower Stall Faucet?
- How to Remove Moldy Shower Caulking
- How to Replace Shower Faucet Stems
- How to Clean an RV Shower
- How to Replace Shower Fixtures in Existing Showers
- How to Remove & Replace Tile in a Shower
- How to Repair a Dripping Showerhead
- How to Replace a Cartridge in a Shower