How to Remove Motor Oil Stains From Car Floor Mats
Floor mats in your car serve more than one purpose. While lending to the look and feel of the interior of your car, they also help to protect the carpet underneath from dirt and stains. So when the floor mats end up with ugly stains, you need to take them out and clean them. The good news is that they did their job and protected the carpet underneath. Motor oil stains are more than noticeable, but fortunately for you, removable.
Scrape away or blot up as much of the oil as possible. If it's a fresh spill, use newspapers to blot up as much as possible and discard them. If the stain is older, use a blunt edge to scrape up as much residual oil as you can get up.
Sprinkle baking soda all over the area. Make sure to use enough to cover the area completely.
Vacuum up the baking soda after allowing it to sit for at least 15 minutes.
Apply a dry cleaning solvent to a clean cloth, and wipe the area with it to remove any residual stain. Follow the manufacturers' instructions for the dry cleaning solvent carefully.
Rinse the area with a clean damp cloth, and set the mats outside in the sunshine to dry once the stain is gone.
- If the stain persists after the dry cleaning solvent, mix 1 tbsp. of white vinegar into 2 cups of warm water, add 1 tbsp. of a grease-cutting dish soap and apply it to the stain with a clean cloth. Scrub the area well, and rinse with a clean damp cloth dipped in clean warm water. Cornmeal is an acceptable substitute for baking soda.
Melynda Sorrels spent 10 years in the military working in different capacities of the medical field, including dental assisting, health services administration, decontamination and urgent medical care. Awarded the National Guardsman’s Medal for Lifesaving efforts in 2002, Sorrels was also a nominee for a Red Cross Award and a certified EMT-B for four years.
- How to Clean Washable Marker From Upholstery
- How to Remove Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol From a Wood Floor
- How to Remove the Washing Machine Cover on a Kenmore Elite
- What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of an Intrusion Detection System?
- How to Remove White Spots From Hardwood Floors
- How to Remove Peanut Butter From Clothing