How to Keep Bed Sheets From Fading
Bed sheets will stay crisp and colorfast if you follow a few steps to prevent them from fading. Improper laundry washing and sunlight are common enemies of bright color bed sheets. Taking time to learn the fabric care instructions and changing your washing habits can go a long way toward prolonging the life and color of your bedsheets.
- Read the washing and care instructions on the tag found on the edge of the bed sheets. In almost all cases, laundering in cold water is recommended and this instruction should be followed.
- Wash color sheets separately from other linens, using liquid laundry detergent.
- Add 1 oz. of white vinegar to the load. Vinegar contains colorfast properties that will help prevent fading.
- Avoid drying bedsheets on a clothesline in direct sunlight. The ultraviolet rays of the sun will cause colors to fade. Instead, consider air drying sheets on a rack, or use a clothes dryer set to a lower temperature.
Things You Will Need
- Bed sheets
- White vinegar
- Washing machine
- Clothes dryer
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Keep the bleach out of the wash when cleaning bed sheets.