How to Install the Heating Element of an Amana Dryer
The Maytag Amana dryer is designed to give you years of dependable service. Like all other appliances, however, parts wear out over time. When your Amana dryer stops heating, it may be time to replace the heating element. An Amana dryer owner should learn how to install a heating element in the dryer to save money. The dryer will have to be disassembled to gain access to the heating element.
- Unplug the Amana dryer from the dryer outlet.
- Insert the blade of a putty knife in between the top panel and the front panel. Press the blade into the retaining clips that secure the panels together. Lift up on one corner of the top panel to release the opposite retaining clip. Position the top panel away from the front panel without disconnecting any wires.
- Locate the door switch on the upper right corner of the front panel. Press in the locking tabs with your fingers, and pull the wire harness away from the door switch.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the screws that secure the back flange of the front panel to the side panel on each side. Pull the front panel away from the Amana dryer.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the four screws that secure the drum bulkhead to the front of the side panels. Reach your hand between the drum and the motor to locate the idler pulley. Push the idler pulley to the left to release the belt tension. Remove the belt from the idler pulley and motor pulley.
- Grab the drum and the dryer belt, and pull them out of the front of the Amana dryer. Locate the heating element at the lower left rear of the Amana dryer.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the two screws that secure the heating element to the rear of the dryer. Use needle nose pliers to remove the wire leads from the heating element terminals.
- Remove the faulty heating element from the dryer. Install a new heating element, and connect the wires to the heating element terminals. Secure the heating element to the rear of the Amana dryer using the two retaining screws.
- Reinstall the drum and dryer belt into the Amana dryer. Route the dryer belt over the motor pulley and the idler pulley. Pull the idler pulley to the right to engage the belt tension. Reinstall the front bulkhead using the retaining screws.
- Set the bottom of the front panel into the locking tabs on the base of the dryer. Position the top of the front panel so that the rear flange lines up correctly on the side panels. Secure the flange of the front panel to the side panels using the retaining screws.
- Position the top panel into place, and gently press down to engage the retaining clips. Plug the Amana dryer back into the wall outlet.
Things You Will Need
- Putty knife
- Needle nose pliers
- Replacement heating element
- Always disconnect the power supply to appliances before repairing them.