- Turn the power off to the dryer outlet at the main circuit panel.
- Loosen the screws holding the cover plate over the existing dryer outlet, using the screwdriver. Remove and discard the cover. Loosen the screws securing the electrical wiring to the outlet prongs, and separate the wiring from the prongs and let the wiring hang free for re-connecting later. Loosen and remove the screws holding the outlet to the wall and remove the outlet and discard.
- Insert the wiring through the back of the hole and out the front on the new dryer outlet. Slide the outlet up to the wall and, using the screwdriver and the screws included in the kit, secure the outlet to the wall.
- Connect the wiring to the new outlet using the screwdriver and the following connections: connect the red and black (hot) wires to the two outside brass screws, the white (neutral) wire to the silver screw, and the green (ground) wire to the green screw. Connect the wiring by sliding the wire under it's appropriate screw and tightening it down so the screw clamps and secures the wiring to outlet prongs. If needed, cut about 2 inches off the old ends off of each wire and strip about 1 inch of insulation off each end to start with a fresh end on each wire.
- Affix the new cover included in the kit over the new outlet and secure it to the outlet by inserting a screw through each hole and tightening them down to a snug fit.
Things You Will Need
- 220-volt dryer outlet kit
- Wire cutters/strippers (optional)
- It may be helpful to take the old outlet with you to your local hardware store to help match the new outlet and purchase the right one.