- Shut the main water valve in your home.
- Remove the handle from your Kohler shower, using an Allen wrench to loosen the nut on the bottom of the handle.
- Remove the steel clip holding the brass stem in place. The clip is what helps hold the stem in place.
- Extract the stem from the mixing valve with a pair off pliers, turning counterclockwise.
- Push the new stem into the Kohler brass mixing valve. You'll set the new stem into the same spot as the one you removed.
- Reinsert the clip that holds the stem in place.
- Set the handle back on the stem and the nut on the bottom of the faucet.