Back Button

How to Troubleshoot a KitchenAid Exhaust Fan Problem

James Cooper

Your KitchenAid exhaust fan not only removes cooking odors from your home, but will remove smoke that can build up when cooking greasy foods. Foul odors and smoke can be harmful to your respiratory system. Your KitchenAid exhaust fan, when operating properly, will improve the quality of your indoor air. When your kitchen exhaust fan malfunctions, there are a number of things you can do to troubleshoot the problem. The result may be the replacement of the fan. But it is important that you first determine what the default is before going to this expense.

Troubleshoot your KitchenAid exhaust fan.
  1. Check for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker if your KitchenAid exhaust fan and light don't work.

  2. Check if both the fan and light work. See if the light dims, if the fan speeds adjust and if all features of the unit are operative. If the fan doesn't work and the light does, check if the fan switch is working.

  3. Replace the light bulb if the bulb doesn't work. If the new light bulb doesn't work, you may need a new lamp-holder socket.

  4. Check if the light dimmer switch adjusts the intensity of the light. If it doesn't work but the light does, your dimmer switch is defective, and you need to replace it.

  5. Turn off the circuit breaker connected to your KitchenAid exhaust fan before doing any further troubleshooting. It is likely located in your whole-house fuse box.

  6. Take off the cover to the exhaust fan so you can access the wiring. Use a screwdriver to remove the screws holding the cover in place.

  7. Inspect the unit for frayed wires and that all the wiring connections look sound. Sometimes the screws holding the wires can come loose and wires can disconnect. The wiring can melt over time from the heat from the stove. If the wiring looks damaged, you will need to replace it.

  8. Use an ohmmeter to test the fan switch if the fan doesn't run. Connect the probes on the ohmmeter to the corresponding colored fan switch wiring. The switch should have a reading of zero ohms. If not, the switch is defective, and you need to replace it. If it does read zero, you likely need a new fan motor.