- Use a hacksaw to cut one of the 12 foot pieces of 1 ½ inch square steel tubes into three equal lengths, each four feet long.
- Lay the other two pieces of 11/2 inch square steel tubes parallel to one another, spread four feet apart on a flat surface such as a concrete shop floor.
- Position one of the 4 foot pieces of 1 ½ inch tubes at each end of and between each of the 12 foot pieces laying on the floor to form a rectangle of 1 ½ inch tubes measuring 144 inches by 51 inches, outside measurements.
- Position the remaining 4-foot piece of 1 ½ inch tube between the 12 foot pieces, centered exactly six feet from each end of the 12 footers. The resulting framework will be a gate frame, 12 feet long, 51 inches high divided into two equal sized rectangles.
- Weld the top and bottom horizontal framework of the gate to the end pieces and mid-point support piece.
Build the Rungs
- Use a hacksaw to cut the three pieces of 1-inch square tube into six lengths, each 70 3/4 inches long which should fit perfectly between the short sides of the two rectangles making up the gate framework.
- Mark each of the 4-foot pieces of 1 ½-inch tubing at 12 inches, 24 inches and 36 inches from the ends.
- Center one of the 70 3/4-inch pieces on these marks, parallel with the top and bottom gate-frame tubes and weld each end into place.
- Cut the 2-inch piece of round tubing into two equal lengths of tubing--each slightly less than one inch long.
- Mark one of the ends of the completed gate at eight inches from the top and bottom.
- Weld one of the 1-inch pieces of tubing to the end frame at each of these marks to become the pintle of the hinge.
- Screw hinge screw hooks into the gate post to fit the spacing of the pintles and hang the gate in the opening.
Things You Will Need
- 3 pieces of 16 gauge square steel tubing 11/2-inch by 12 feet long.
- 3 pieces of 16 gauge square steel tubing 1-inch by 12 feet long
- 2 inches of 3/4 inch outside diameter-by.512-inch inside diameter round steel tubing
- MIG or TIG Welder
- Tape measure
- 2 screw hooks
- A coating of rust-resistant metal paint will extend the life of the gate.
- Shorter, longer, taller or smaller gates can be made using the same materials by adjusting the lengths of materials used in construction.