How to Use the Sun to Bleach Clothing
Light-colored clothing often requires more than a simple wash to keep the colors bright and attractive. You can add chlorine bleach to your washing machine to assist in the whitening process, but this chemically-based ingredient can harm clothing and skin and has a strong odor that often sticks to your clothes even after washing and drying them. Bleaching your clothing in the sun is a more natural and completely cost-free option.
- Load the clothing you wish to bleach in the washing machine with your normal detergent.
- Turn on the machine and let it complete the wash cycle.
- Pour 1/2 cup of lemon juice into the washing machine during the rinse cycle. Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent. Allow the machine to finish the cycle.
- Remove the clothing items from the washing machine and hang them on an outdoor clothesline in direct sunlight. The sun will naturally whiten the clothing as it dries.
Things You Will Need
- Washing machine
- Laundry detergent
- Lemon juice
- Air drying your clothing has the added benefit of eliminating the energy required to run your clothes dryer.