How to Replace a Hunter Pull Chain Switch for a Light
Ceiling fans are an excellent way of cutting down on utility costs. In the summer they can cool a room, while in winter they can force warm air that rises to the ceiling back down into the room. Most ceiling fans employ a pull chain for operation and the popular brand Hunter is no exception. These chains can break and need repair; luckily it is an easy job that any do-it-yourselfer can manage.
- Turn off the power to the fan at the fuse box or circuit breaker. This should be located in the basement.
- Disassemble the outer portions of the Hunter ceiling fan. Remove the bulbs and any decorative coverings that cover the light-box assembly.
- Take the light-box off the fan. It is held on by three screws. Use a Philips head screwdriver and remove the light-box.
- Remove the circular cap that the pull chain comes out of; this is called the end cap. Unscrew it by hand and pull it off over the pull chain. The connective wires will now be visible.
- Place a new pull chain switch in place. Replace the end cap to hold the chain in place.
- Connect the wires from the pull chain switch to the light-box. Connect black to black first, then the remaining switch wire to the other black wire from the light-box.
- Attach the light-box to the fan with the three screws.
- Put all of the decorative elements back in place and replace the light bulbs. Turn the power back on and test your Hunter ceiling fan pull chain.