How to Make a Wall Mounted Table
Wall mounted tables give a clean and modern look to any room. A foldaway wall mounted table can be a useful space-saver. Making your own wall mounted table is not a difficult task, and will look just like a professionally made one, with half the price tag. The most important consideration when making a DIY wall mounted table is to make sure the table is attached to a wall support. This is easily done with the help of a stud finder.
Find the wall studs in the area where you want to mount the wall table. Use the stud finder and mark the place where each stud is with the pencil at the approximate height you want your table. Choose two studs, around 16 inches apart, to mount your table on.
Mark the exact height of your table in a horizontal line between the two chosen studs.
Align the shelf brackets, with the 18-inch end pointing down the wall, and the right angle one inch below the table line. Make sure the brackets are straight. Screw them into the wall and the stud behind the wall.
Center the table top over the shelf brackets. The table top can be MDF board, plywood, or a pre-fabricated table top. Make sure the back edge of the table is flush with the wall. Screw the brackets onto the table top from the underneath up.
Things You Will Need
- Stud finder
- Measuring tape
- Shelf brackets, 16 by 18 inches
- Table top, 18 by 18 by 1 inch
- To make a foldaway table, use collapsible shelf brackets.
- If you have used MDF or plywood for the table top, prime, paint and varnish it before attaching to the brackets.
- If you don’t have a stud finder, or the studs are not in a suitable location, use a self-drilling anchor or toggle bolts to attach the brackets to the wall.
- Do not overload your wall mounted table with more weight than the brackets can bear.