How to Tell What Year a GE Range Is by the Model or Serial Number
If you are in the market for a used General Electric (GE) stove, or if you want to sell a stove yourself, you can find out the true age of the stove by looking at the serial number. General Electric has included serial numbers with the year since 1980. The serial number is made up of two letters and six digits and can be found in a variety of locations.
Look for the serial number on the stove. There are several locations where the serial number might be: under the left front surface unit; centered on the right side under the lift up cooktop; behind the over door on the frame; behind the drawer on front of the frame or on the left leg behind the broil drawer, storage drawer or kick panel.
Look at the first letter of the serial number. This indicates the month the range was manufactured:
Look at the second letter of the serial number. This indicates the year the GE range was built:
G 1980 and 1992
H 1981 and 1993
L 1982 and 1994
M 1983 and 1995
R 1984 and 1996
S 1985 and 1997
T 1986 and 1998
V 1987 and 1999
Z 1988 and 2000
A 1989 and 2001
D 1990 and 2002
- If you can't find your stove's serial number or have trouble reading it, call GE's customer service at 1-800-626-2005.
Stephanie Ellen teaches mathematics and statistics at the university and college level. She coauthored a statistics textbook published by Houghton-Mifflin. She has been writing professionally since 2008. Ellen holds a Bachelor of Science in health science from State University New York, a master's degree in math education from Jacksonville University and a Master of Arts in creative writing from National University.
- gas stove image by Christopher Walker from Fotolia.com
- How to Open Maytag Dryer Locks Without Keys
- How to Remove Stains on Frosted Glass
- How to Reset the Beeping Noise on a Model FAA67P7 Frigidare Air Conditioner
- How to Reset a Maytag MAH8700AWW Washer
- How to Remove an LG Tromm Laundry Detergent Dispenser
- How to Find the Model Number on Kenmore Quantum Gas Grills