How to Repair Water Stains on a Popcorn Ceiling
A popcorn ceiling is usually made from textured drywall. While it can add an interesting and decorative look to a room, it can be difficult to clean and maintain when compared to a smooth ceiling. For example, if your popcorn ceiling gets water stains, these will usually appear as light brown of even coffee-colored. Too much water damage can even cause your textured popcorn ceiling to flake. Therefore, this is a problem that must be repaired as soon as possible.
- Lay a tarp down underneath the stained area, then put on safety goggles and a mask to protect yourself.
- Use a putty knife to scrape away the stained area of your popcorn ceiling. The entire area must be smooth, so all the texture should be scraped away.
- Pin a tarp around the area you scraped. It must cover the area exactly and hang down about 4 feet.
- Spray a stain blocker onto the area you scraped. Stain blockers that will spray upside down are available at home improvement stores. Allow the stain blocker to dry completely before continuing.
- Spray on the texture. You can purchase a can of texture in home improvement stores. Shake it well and hold it about 9 to 14 inches away from your popcorn ceiling. When spraying the can, move your hand back and forth in a sweeping motion. Once dry, your popcorn ceiling will be repaired.