Leave the home immediately if you smell a strong gas odor or hear hissing sounds. Do not close windows or doors before leaving.
Avoid any activity close to the home that can generate a spark. Don't light matches. Don't start a car ignition. Don't use your cell phone.
Call your gas utility company from your cell phone, after moving away from the home, or from a neighbor's land line. State laws require also calling 911 to report a gas leak. Notify your neighbors either by phone or face to face.
Call 811. State laws also mandate reporting gas leaks to 811, a number created by the Federal Communications Commission that deals with underground utilities and excavations.
- Investigate faint and mild odors before reporting a gas leak. Confirm that the burner controls on your gas stove are in the off position. Check the pilot light on your stove and relight if it has gone out; do the same with your gas heater.
- Keep the number for your gas utility on your cell phone.