Place 1/2 cup each of borax and the washing soda into your food processor.
Cut up the bar soap into four or five pieces and drop it into the food processor.
Grind the mixture until the soap bar is in tiny chunks, about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller.
Store the laundry detergent in a plastic container with a lid.
Use 1 tbsp. of the laundry detergent in a regular wash load. For heavily soiled clothing, use 2 tbsp.
Things You Will Need
- Food processor
- Measuring cup
- Sharp knife
- Bar of soap, such as Ivory, Fels Naptha or Zote
- Washing soda
- Essential oil (optional)
- Adding the other powders to the food processor before adding the bar soap makes grinding the soap and incorporating it with the other powders easier.
- You can use a metal grater to grate the soap finely if you do not have a food processor.
- Washing soda and borax are located on the laundry aisle in discount or grocery stores.
- You can add a couple of drops of your favorite scent of essential oil, such as orange, lemon or tea tree, if you desire.