- Turn the toilet supply valve on. Check the valve to make sure it is turned all the way to the left until it is seated firmly.
- Remove the tank cover and place it on the side. Move the float in the tank up and down. A jammed toilet float will stop the water flow. If moving the float allows water to flow, the float has gone bad and must be replaced.
- Check the fill valve. This will be located directly above the water feeder line. Pry the top off the fill valve with a screwdriver, and place a small cup over the top. Turn the main water valve on and off. Observe if there is any water flow at all going into the fill valve. If water sprays out of the top after one or two turns of the water supply valve, a piece of debris had blocked the fill valve. Replace the cap, and the toilet will fill as normal. If no water sprays out of the top, the fill valve is bad and will need to be replaced.
Water Is Not Getting in the Toilet Tank
When water is not getting into the toilet tank, the toilet won't flush. The first thing to check is that water is getting to every other plumbing fixture in the house. If there is no water anywhere, check the main water valve to make sure it is turned on. If the main valve is on but there is still no water, you have a serious plumbing problem, and a professional must be called in. If there is water at every other plumbing fixture, than the toilet water line or a tank fixture will be the culprit.
Things You Will Need
- How to Troubleshoot an Ice Maker Water Valve
- How to Repair a Toilet With No Water
- How to Change the Tank Gasket on a One Piece Kohler Toilet
- How to Replace a Toilet Flapper Valve
- How to Repair Leaking Kitchen Faucets With One Handle
- How to Install a Flowmaster Toilet Filler
- How to Replace a Kohler Flush Valve Seat
- How to Install a Hushflo Fill Valve
- How to Remove the Brine Valve Assembly on a Sears Water Softener
- How to Take Off a Toilet Tank
- How to Remove Air from a Water Line
- How Do I Troubleshoot an Ex-Cell 2100 PSI Power Washer?
- How to Fix a Leaking Toilet Fill Valve
- How to Fix a Broken Kohler Faucet Handle