How to Change Chinese Appliance Plugs to Fit American Outlets

Electricity in the United States is typically 120 volts and utilizes type-A adapter plugs.

In China, electricity is generally 220 volts and utilizes either a type-A, type-I or type-G adapter plug. Therefore, to use an appliance from China in an American outlet, you will need to use a voltage converter and possibly an adapter plug.

Determine the type of plug on the Chinese appliance. If the appliance has a type-I or type-G plug, plug the appliance into a type-A outlet adapter. If your Chinese appliance has a type-A plug, no adapter is needed.

Plug the Chinese appliance with the attached adapter, if necessary, into a 220 volt to 110 volt power converter.

Plug the power converter into a U.S. outlet.

Turn the power converter on. Your Chinese appliance will now work with a standard American outlet.

Things You Will Need

  • 220 volt to 110 volt power converter
  • Type-I or type-G to type-A adapter plug

About the Author

Since 1992 Matt McGew has provided content for on and offline businesses and publications. Previous work has appeared in the "Los Angeles Times," Travelocity and "GQ Magazine." McGew specializes in search engine optimization and has a Master of Arts in journalism from New York University.