How to Remove Fuzzy Mold
Almost every house suffers from the scourge of mold at one time or another. In winter when the air is damper, mold spores in the air can land on surfaces and multiply quickly, especially on damp areas of walls or ceilings. It is important to remove this mold before it spreads too much, as it can be dangerous to inhale, causing asthma and allergies to flare up. Removing mold on the surfaces of your home is an easy job, but do it at the first sign of mold growth and proceed cautiously while doing so.
Vacuum the area where the mold is found. Use a brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner to achieve the best results. Vacuum the whole area, not just where you can see patches of mold. Fine, smaller mold patches might not be easy to see and you could miss them.
Dilute bleach with water and apply it to the area vacuumed using a hard-bristled scrubbing brush. Once again, cover the whole area and don't hesitate to scrub hard to ensure you get the entire mold.
Wipe down the area scrubbed with wet cloths. Ensure they are wet enough to remove the bleach; damp cloths will not remove all the bleach from the surface. Give the surface a thorough wiping, until you have covered the whole area.
Take an old towel and dry off the surface. Start by blotting and then dry it thoroughly. Ensure that the water does not soak into the surface, as water is conducive to mold growth. Use several cleaning rags if necessary.
Locate the source of the mold. Ascertain why it is growing, such as a moisture leak or drip from an appliance, then take action to eliminate the problem and stop mold coming back.
Things You Will Need
- Brush attachment
- Hard-bristled brush
- Clean rags
- Floor coverings
- Washing cloths
- Face mask
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Don't use the bleach method on carpets or furnishings as permanent staining may occur. Place coverings on your floor under the surface you are cleaning to stop the bleach or water from running down onto your floors and damaging carpets.
- Ensure you always wear gloves, long sleeves and a face mask when cleaning mold to reduce your exposure to the dangerous spores.