- Cleanse butcher block counter tops thoroughly with dish-washing soap and water after each use. Wood absorbs food odors, oils and bacteria from raw meat making it imperative to properly clean.
- Mix a mild solution of 1 tbsp. bleach into 1 gallon of warm water. Wash the counter top with a clean sponge, rinse, then wipe dry to further cleanse bacteria.
- Wipe stains from a butcher block counter top with lemon juice. Rinse and wipe dry.
- Shake salt onto stubborn stains and then rub with the cut edge of half a lemon. Let the salt and lemon sit overnight on the counter top and rinse with water and dry. For tougher stains, try 3-percent hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry.
- Scrape the counter top each evening with a metal spatula or scraper to remove lingering odors or stains.
Things You Will Need
- Dish detergent
- Lemon juice
- Clean sponges
- Clean towels
- Metal scraper or spatula
- About every two weeks, apply mineral oil or a food preparation surface commercial product. This helps seal the wood and repels stains. Do not use olive or vegetable oils that will turn rancid.