- Open the vent covers by removing the screws with the screwdriver. Place the cover aside and use a flashlight to look into the duct. Assess the cleanliness of the duct by observing how much dust build-up there is. If you see a lot of debris, it's time to clean.
- Hook up attachments to your vacuum cleaner. Use a long, flexible attachment that can easily reach down into the duct. Wear gloves since you might need to reach your hands down there as well. Switch the vacuum on and vacuum the inside of the duct with the attachment until the duct looks free of build-up and meets your cleanliness expectations.
- Vacuum the vent cover to free it of any dust or dirt. Spray the grille with cleaning solution and wipe it with a paper towel or rag.
- Replace the vent cover and screw it back on with the screwdriver. Secure it in place. Once you are done, clean other ducts in your home the same way.
Things You Will Need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Paper towels or rags
- Cleaning solution
- Use a vacuum that has a brush attachment to help agitate dust and dirt from the sides of the ducts as you vacuum.