- Fill a sink with warm water. Add a 2 tbsp. liquid laundry detergent. Scrub the detergent over the damaged clothes and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Fill the washing machine with warm water.
- Add bleach to the load of laundry according to the bleach manufacturer's recommendation. This will differ depending on the size of your washing machine, but generally use one-quarter cup of bleach per gallon of water.
- Put the clothes in the washing machine and let them soak for 15 minutes.
- Add detergent to the water and wash the clothes as you normally would.
How to Remove Colors That Bled Onto Whites
If you accidentally wash a colored piece of clothing with your pile of white clothing, the white clothes can pick up the dye from the colored clothes. This can ruin some types of clothes but you can salvage others by treating them and washing them again. Do this as soon as possible and don't dry the clothes, as it will only set the dye and make it harder to remove.