Walker Turner Drill Press Parts
A Walker-Turner drill press dates to the early 1940s. It's an old-time drill press using a heavy motor, pulleys and belts. In 1948, the Walker-Turner Co. was sold to Kearney & Trecker. Some time thereafter, the product tags were changed from "Walker Turner" to read "Walker-Turner Division of Kearney & Trecker." The division was sold to Rockwell Manufacturing Co. in 1956 and continued into the 1960s.
Head, Pulley and Switch Assemblies
The head, pulleys, belts and switch assemblies are the main guts of Walker Turner drill presses. When new, they predated integrated circuits by a few decades. The drive system consists of four pulleys over the motor, three above the center post and four over the drillhead -- all joined together by various belts. The belts are more commonly replaced with chains now. A forged steel head provides a cover at the front of the drill press.
A 1/2-horsepower drive motor is mounted vertically at the rear of the drill press. Its pulley end is positioned at the top of the drill press. A belt attaches to the four pulleys. Additional belts attach to the four-step pulleys, connecting the motor to the drill head and delivering the torque to power the drill.
Drill Head and Table Raising Assembly
The drill head and pulley assembly is an involved mechanical affair, using different belts for slow and standard speed. The drill head and table are raised and lowered with a manual hand crank. The power switch is attached to the front of the head casing, and a foot-feed attachment varies the motor speed.
Table, Base and Belt Guard
A four-side table is adjustable along a solid steel 6- to 7-foot shaft, with a larger rectangular base attaching at the bottom of the shaft. The table provides a surface for securing or positioning the object being drilled. A metal belt guard assembly originally covered the entire top of the drill press, from the back of the drill-head assembly to the motor.