Things You Will Need
- Packaging Materials
- Packaging Tape
- Packing Peanuts
How to Pack a Computer for Shipping. Pack your computer system in its original box and packing material if possible.
If you no longer have the packaging, these instructions should help.
- Use a heavy corrugated cardboard box with extra space for protective material.
- Make sure the weight capacity of the box, usually printed on the bottom, exceeds your computer and accessories.
- Remove, cover or cross out old shipping labels from the outside of the box.
- Wrap computer in bubble wrap or other cushioning material, covering all sides. Seal with tape.
- Wrap mouse, keyboard and other accessories separately.
- Fill open space in box with bubble wrap, polystyrene "peanuts" or "noodles," crumpled newspaper or other cushioning material.
- Make sure the computer can't move inside the box.
- Put a duplicate shipping label with your telephone number inside box.
- Seal box with pressure-sensitive reinforced tape, water-activated paper tape or other strong packaging tape.
- Cover seams with extra tape.
- Mark complete return and delivery addresses on a single label.
- Mark "FRAGILE" on all sides of the box.
Do not use masking tape, cellophane tape or string to seal the box. If you are returning a computer purchased from a mail-order manufacturer, you are usually required to return the original box and packaging materials in good condition.