Things You Will Need
- Vacuum with attachments
- Mild soap and water
- Garden hose and spray attachment
- Clean, dry cloth
How to Clean Wicker. Wicker furniture is charming and long lasting if cared for properly.
Keep your wicker free of debris and mold and your furniture lasts for generations. Purchase resin wicker furniture for outside use since exposure to the elements destroys wicker made of natural fibers.
Clean wicker furniture on a regular basis to keep it looking its best.
- Vacuum wicker furniture frequently to remove dust and debris. Use vacuum attachments to get into cracks and crevices.
- Use scissors to cut the bristles on a paintbrush to half their length. Dust your wicker with the paintbrush to remove stubborn debris.
- Clean wicker furniture using mild soap and water. Take the furniture outside and hose it off using a spray attachment. Be careful not to disturb the wicker weave pattern while the furniture is wet or you may permanently disfigure the shape of your wicker. The wicker sags when extremely wet but it regains its shape once it dries. Wipe your furniture with a clean, dry cloth and leave your furniture in the shade for two or three days to dry. Make sure the wicker furniture is completely dry before using it.
- Remove mold from your wicker furniture with a mild bleach and water cleaning solution. Use an old toothbrush to gently clean any tough mold or mildew stains. Rinse the wicker furniture and allow it to dry completely before using it.
- Prevent mold and mildew by keeping your wicker furniture away from damp or humid conditions. If you expose your wicker furniture to the elements, over time the weather destroys the frame and wicker. Keep antique furniture and special pieces indoors, in even humidity, and your wicker furniture lasts longer.
- Glue broken reeds and peeling paint. Re-cane chair seats when necessary. Take the wicker furniture to the professionals if it needs to be re-caned.
Do not use water on paper-fiber, rush wicker. Instead, vacuum wicker furniture made from this type of material.