Things You Will Need
- Enzyme-containing laundry detergent
- Prewash stain remover
- Dish detergent
Getting a warm cup of latte is the preferred method of starting the day for many people. Latte, a type of coffee made with milk, also can be easily spilled in the morning rush to get going.
Unfortunately, you may have to change clothes before continuing your routine, but you don't have to assume that the stain is permanent. Fast treatment of latte stains on clothes, and even upholstery and carpet can lead to complete stain removal.
Latte on Clothing
- Soak the stained clothing in cool water for approximately 30 minutes. If it's not possible to soak the entire item right away, use a clean rag or sponge to treat the stained area with cool water.
- Use a pre-wash stain remover to treat the stain. If you don't have this product handy, mix 1 tsp. of regular laundry detergent with 1 cup of water to spot treat the stain.
- Wash in cool water with an enzyme laundry detergent, since latte contains milk. Detergents containing enzymes include brands such as Arm and Hammer, Bold, Cheer, Surf and Tide.
- Add chlorine bleach for whites and color-safe bleach for colors.
Latte on Carpet and Upholstery
- Blot the coffee as soon as it spills with a clean, dry rag in order to remove the excess liquid.
- Mix 1 tsp. of dish detergent, 1 tsp. of vinegar and 1 cup of warm water.
- Use a rag to blot the stain with the mixture from Step 2. If it looks like the stain is coming out, continue until it is removed.
- Use 1tbsp. of enzyme-containing laundry detergent mixed with 1 cup of warm water to blot the stain if the solution from Step 3 doesn't work.
- Dab the area with a damp rag to remove any left over detergent residue.