Things You Will Need
- Petroleum Jelly or Non-stick cooking spray
- Empty plastic bottle (2 liter soda bottle or 16 oz. water bottle)
- Bread, powdered sugar, peanut butter or dog kibble
- Masking Tape
Most people will agree that cockroaches are a nuisance. They multiply rapidly and seem to appear at inappropriate times, such as when you are entertaining company.
In addition to being irritating, they can be hazardous to your health. According to Get Set Inc, professionals in non-toxic pest management, cockroaches are known to carry fungi, viruses and bacteria.
Their saliva and feces are sources of allergens that can irritate asthma symptoms, particularly in children, according to the University of Minnesota. Clearly, it is best to eliminate cockroaches, and you can do so by making a trap with items that you probably have in your home.
- Cut the top off of the empty, plastic bottle. Cut near the opening of the bottle at the point where it begins to curve.
- Coat the bottom portion of the bottle with petroleum jelly or cooking spray. Apply it to the inner walls of the bottle, 2 and 1/2 inches from the bottom. This will prevent the cockroaches from crawling out of the bottle once they are trapped. Be sure not to get any petroleum jelly or cooking spray on the outside of the bottle.
- Place bread, peanut butter, powdered sugar or dog kibble in the bottom of the bottle to attract the cockroaches.
- Turn the top portion of the bottle upside down and insert it, nozzle first, into the bottom portion of the bottle so that it resembles a funnel.
- Attach the top and bottom portions of the bottle together. Wrap masking tape around the cut edges to ensure that the top and bottom do not separate from one another.
- Place the trap in an area where you have seen cockroaches.