Things You Will Need
- Heavy books
- Baking soda
- Spray bottles
- Vacuum cleaner
You often think to clean your carpets, but carpet padding goes unseen and therefore is easy to forget. But if your carpet pad has been exposed to the elements or something has soaked through the carpet, it can cause the padding to smell, making your whole room stink.
Use both baking soda and vinegar to remove those odors. Baking soda also removes stains, and vinegar disinfects and helps kill mold.
Baking Soda Method
- Lift the carpet away from the padding. Bend the carpet back, and place two to three heavy books on it to keep it out of the way. Sprinkle a thick layer of baking soda over the carpet padding.
- Fill a spray bottle with clean water. Spray the baking soda until it is wet, but not soaked. It makes a paste.
- Let the paste sit on the padding for 30 minutes.
- Scrub the padding with the rag by gently rubbing the baking soda paste into the padding. Let the baking soda paste dry after scrubbing.
- Vacuum the padding to remove the baking soda. Lay the carpet back down over the padding.
- Fill a spray bottle with white distilled vinegar.
- Spray the carpet until it is soaked. The vinegar soaks through the carpet and reaches the pad.
- Leave the area to dry. The vinegar kills germs and odors in the carpet padding.