Things You Will Need
- Boiling water
- Rubber gloves
- Adhesive remover
- Long-handled scraper
- Push broom
- Trash bags
Vinyl adhesive glue is used to bond vinyl and plastic floor tiles to a foundation. The substance is highly durable and long lasting and therefore a challenge to remove using traditional cleaning supplies.
Removing vinyl adhesive glue from a flooring foundation like cement, concrete, wood and other common surfaces requires a chemical solvent and specific removal tools.
- Pour boiling water over a manageable portion of the vinyl glue. The heat softens the adhesive and minimizes the amount of chemicals necessary for removal. Let soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Ventilate the workspace and put on a respirator to avoid the harmful fumes. Wear chemical-resitant gloves and apply a commercial adhesive remover according to the manufacturer's instructions. The solvent safely dissolves resilient industrial-grade adhesives, such as vinyl adhesive.
- Allow the remover to dissolve the flooring glue for the period of time indicated on the product label. Carefully begin loosening the residue with a long-handled scraper. This tool eliminates the need to crouch or bend excessively when attempting removal.
- Use another application of the adhesive remove if certain areas for especially stubborn areas of the vinyl glue. Some removers may evaporate before they have taken complete effect.
- Sweep the loose glue aside with a push broom to clear the foundation. Properly dispose of the remains in a garbage bag, then mop the floor with a mild detergent for a thorough cleaning.