Things You Will Need
- Soft cloth
- Liquid soap
- Olive Oil
There are a number of chemical leather cleaners on the market but you can also clean your brown leather couch or jacket with a few things you already have in your home. By cleaning your leather item, it will last longer and look as good as the day you brought it home.
- Dampen a soft cloth with water. Wring out any excess water. The cloth should be damp, not soaked.
- Apply a mild, liquid soap to the rag. Castile soap or hand soap works. Rub the cloth together to work in the soap into the cloth.
- Rub your leather item with the cloth. This will create a light lather.
- Dampen another cloth with water and wipe away the soapy residue on the leather. Again, the cloth should be damp. Submerging or soaking leather with water will damage the leather.
- Wipe the leather item with a dry cloth. Let the item air dry for a few minutes.
- Apply a few drops of olive onto a dry cloth. Rub the oil into the leather to condition it. You do not want to use too much oil because then the leather becomes sticky and attracts dirt. A little bit goes a long way.