Things You Will Need
- Spray bottle
- Hot water
- Fabric softener
- Wallpaper scorer
- White vinegar
Removing wallpaper from the interior of a home often turns into a bigger task than homeowners anticipate. A trip to your local home improvement store will reveal a multitude of products and solutions that claim to make the job easier.
While some of the mechanical tools are useful, the glue softening solutions are often no better than what you can make yourself. Homemade wallpaper removal solutions are low-cost and can be created in just a few minutes.
- Remove the top from a spray bottle and fill it with 2/3 cup of hot water and 1/3 cup of liquid fabric softener.
- Place the top back onto the spray bottle, and shake the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds to combine the two liquids.
- Score the wallpaper using a scorer tool. Place the scorer on the wall with the metal teeth facing downward. Move the scorer over the wall using circular motions and firm pressure.
- Spray the surface of the wall with a generous amount of liquid from the spray bottle.
- Allow the liquid mixture to sit on the wall for approximately ten to 15 minutes, and then begin peeling off the wallpaper from the bottom of the wall.
- Fill a 1-gallon bucket almost full of hot water and pour in 1 cup of white vinegar. Mix the solution with a spoon to combine.
- Pour the mixture carefully into a spray bottle.
- Spray the wallpaper with the vinegar solution until it is saturated.
- Allow the vinegar solution to sit for ten to 15 minutes, but do not allow it to dry. Peel the wallpaper off the wall starting at the bottom of the wall.