Things You Will Need
- 1 broom
- 1 cup Pine Sol
- 1 cup detergent
- 1 large spray bottle
- 1 hand held cleaning brush
- 1 box of baking soda
- 1 vacuum
Cleaning a wool rug may be expensive if taken to a dry cleaner or a professional carpet cleaner. When you don't have the extra funds to splurge on getting a professional carpeting cleaning for your wool rug, the next best thing is to clean it yourself at home.
Wool is considered durable and long lasting due to its porous materials, therefore cleaning it may be a heavy task, but well worth the time.
- Take the rug outside and hang it over a clothing line. Using a broom or other long stick, pummel the rug with alternating soft and hard swats. This will remove the bulk of any loose particles such as hairs, insects, dander and dust.
- Mix 1 cup of Pine Sol with 1 cup of detergent in a large spray bottle. This type of bottle can be found at any store that sells items for a dollar or less. Shake the bottle until the liquid is completely mixed. The Pine Sol with give the rug a clean smell while the detergent will break down the enzymes in the rug.
- Spray the rug until it is somewhat wet, yet not dripping water. You don't want to drench the rug as it could become mildewed if not dried completely. A wet wool rug can take hours, if not days, to completely dry.
- Locate a cleaning brush and brush the carpet using back and forth motions. Since the rug is still hanging up on the line, hold the bottom end of the rug so that you get a firmer grip and can brush it thoroughly. The hanging position allows you to see any stray spots that have not been brushed.
- Remove the rug from its hanging position and lay it flat. Alternate dipping the brush in warm water and continue brushing until the rug has been thoroughly cleaned. Allow the rug to dry. Sprinkle a bit of baking soda on the rug and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Vacuum the remaining baking soda from the rug and rehang the rug on the line to air it out.
Never apply baking soda and vinegar together to a wool rug. The combination is a bleach that could create spots on your rug.