Things You Will Need
- Garden hose
- Dish soap
- Soft-bristled scrub brush
- 1 cup household detergent
- Wire brush
A chain link fence is typically made from galvanized steel wire. Although your chain link fence is durable and sturdy, it will get dirty over time.
Being exposed to the weather elements makes the fence susceptible to things like dirt, bird droppings, tree sap and mud. Cleaning a chain link fence is a quick do-it-yourself project if you use the right methods for cleaning.
An annual cleaning will keep your chain link fence looking its best.
- Hose off the fence with water from the garden hose. Set the hose on the highest pressure setting and hose it off from the top towards the bottom.
- Fill a bucket with warm water. Add a few drops of dish soap, then mix it up well with your hands.
- Dip a soft-bristled scrub brush into the soapy water. Run the scrub brush horizontally over the fence, starting at the top and working your way down.
- Rinse the soapy water from the fence with water from the garden hose.
- Mix 1 cup of household detergent and 1 gallon of warm water in a bucket if the fence still has spots or stains. Scrub these spots with a wire brush and the detergent solution, then rinse with water from the garden hose.