Things You Will Need
- Steel wool pad
- Rust remover
- Paper towels
- Metal primer
- Paint brush
Rust spreads if not removed properly. Rust is an electrochemical process between metals and water.
If the iron and steel parts of the bike becomes rusty, this rust can spread to other parts of the bike such as the chrome handlebars. The handlebars of a bike are important and if the rust is not removed, the handlebars weaken as the rust continues to spread.
Removing rust as soon as it appears keeps the handlebars in top condition.
- Scrub off the rust with a steel wool pad. This removes any surface rust.
- Pour a little rust remover onto a paper towel and rub it into the rust.
- Leave the rust remover on the handlebars for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wipe the rust remover off with paper towels.
- Apply a metal primer with a paintbrush. The primer provides a rust-proof coating for the chrome. Let the chrome handlebars dry before using the bike.