How to Fix a Damper on Your Frigidaire Fridge
The fresh food compartment in your Frigidaire refrigerator is actually cooled by the freezer compartment. The fresh food compartment has a damper installed at the top of the left wall, which allows air to pass from the freezer to the refrigerator compartment.
The passage of air is regulated by a thermistor, which monitors the refrigerator temperature and dictates when the damper door opens and closes, allowing air to pass through. If the damper, thermistor or damper door is damaged, you must remove it from the refrigerator and install a new damper assembly.
Things You Will Need
- Phillips screwdriver
- Masking tape
Turn off the refrigerator breaker in your home's service panel.
Open the refrigerator door, and remove the screws from the control panel on the roof of the refrigerator, as well as from the damper assembly, which is connected to the top of the left wall.
Lower the control panel and damper assembly, and disconnect the wire harness from the top of the refrigerator.
Remove the light switch wire from inside of the control panel, and disconnect the wire connector.
Follow the wire leading to the thermistor, and pull it out of the side of the refrigerator.
Remove the damper housing and control panel from the refrigerator.
Remove the tape from the old damper control, and pull the damper control off the control panel. The damper control is secured using an adhesive backing and may be difficult to remove.
Transfer the wires from the old air damper control to the new air damper control.
Fit the thermistor wire beside the damper into the wire groove, and place tape over the wire to hold it in place.
Remove the adhesive backing from the new damper control, and secure the control to the damper housing assembly.
Return the control panel and damper assembly to the refrigerator, and slide the thermistor back into the channel.
Reconnect the light switch wire as well as the control panel wire connector.
Reinstall the control panel and damper assembly, using the screws that were removed to secure it in position.
Restore power to the refrigerator.
The Drip Cap
- The fresh food compartment in your Frigidaire refrigerator is actually cooled by the freezer compartment.
- The fresh food compartment has a damper installed at the top of the left wall, which allows air to pass from the freezer to the refrigerator compartment.
- Lower the control panel and damper assembly, and disconnect the wire harness from the top of the refrigerator.
Andrew Todd has been writing since 2006. He has written for the Consumer Search website and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Florida. Todd has a Bachelor of Science in criminal justice from the University of Central Florida.
- How to Replace the Evaporator Fan on a KitchenAid Refrigerator
- How to Access the Evaporator in a GE Refrigerator With a Bottom Freezer
- How to Replace the Bulb in a GE Refrigerator
- How to Clean the Coils on a KitchenAid Superba Refrigerator
- My Refrigerator Door Was Left Open and There Is a Motor Smell
- How to Lubricate Refrigerator Door Gaskets