How to Program a Remote for a Genie 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener
The Genie 1/2 HP garage door opener is a heavy duty opener. When replacing the remote controls, the new remotes require programming. Programming the remote for a Genie 1/2 HP garage door opener is just like many other openers. The Genie uses a learn button that will store the code in memory.
The opener can store up to nine remote control codes plus a keypad code. Unlike many openers, the learn button for the 1/2 HP opener is on the front face of the opener head instead of the rear.
Things You Will Need
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Remote control
Place a stepladder under the front of the Genie opener power head. Remove the two screws securing the light lens cover to the front of the power head with a Phillips-head screwdriver. Flip the top of the lens cover down and pull the bottom lens cover tabs away from the opener head. Set the cover out of your way.
Locate the learn button on the left side of the opener head, between the left light bulb and the edge of the opener. There is a small LED light underneath the learn button.
Press and release the learn button with your finger. The LED light will blink twice. Press the button on the remote control with your finger. If you have a remote control with two or three buttons, press one button only. The LED light on the motor head will stay lit without blinking.
Press the button on the remote control again and the LED light will turn off. Climb off the ladder, and press the remote control button once more. The opener will operate with the remote.
Insert the bottom tabs of the lens cover into the two slots on the lower face of the opener head. Flip the lens cover over and secure the lens cover to the opener head with the two retaining screws.
The Drip Cap
- The Genie 1/2 HP garage door opener is a heavy duty opener.
- The opener can store up to nine remote control codes plus a keypad code.
- Locate the learn button on the left side of the opener head, between the left light bulb and the edge of the opener.
- The LED light will blink twice.
- Press the button on the remote control again and the LED light will turn off.
Kenneth Crawford is a freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience. His work has appeared in both print and online publications, including "The American Chronicle." Crawford holds an associate degree in business administration from Commonwealth College.
- How to Program a Chamberlain Garage Remote for the Elite Series Logic 3.0
- How to Add a Rolling Code to My Moore-O-Matic Garage Door Opener
- How to Remove a Craftsman Garage Door Opener
- How to Reset Your Craftsman Garage Remote
- How to Turn Off the Lock Light on the Kenmore Elite Electric Cooktop
- How to Change the Battery on a Genie Intellicode Keypad?