How to Remove Mold From a Tablecloth
Mold is a fungus that thrives in dark, damp conditions, so if a tablecloth has been stored in a humid basement or left outdoors for a day or two in the rain, chances are the foul-smelling spores will start growing on the fabric.
Removing mold from a tablecloth requires sunlight, non-bleach stain removers, elbow grease and patience. Household items will help you get rid of the mold so you can use the tablecloth.
Things You Will Need
- Hydrogen peroxide 3 percent solution
- Large plastic tub
- Laundry detergent
- Paper towels
Wipe off as much mold as possible with a paper towel.
Unfold the tablecloth and hang it in the sun for at least a day to kill and dry out the mold.
Soak the affected area in hydrogen peroxide overnight. This is a non-bleach stain remover that will not fade tablecloth fabric. Use a large plastic tub to soak the material.
Rinse the tablecloth in cold water under a sink to remove the peroxide.
Hand wash delicate fabrics with hand soap in the sink or clean launder-safe tablecloths in the washing machine with regular detergent.
Air dry or run the tablecloth through a clothes dryer. The stain and smell of mold should be gone.
James Clark began his career in 1985. He has written about electronics, appliance repair and outdoor topics for a variety of publications and websites. He has more than four years of experience in appliance and electrical repairs. Clark holds a bachelor's degree in political science.