How to Hide a Door in a Room
Whether you have a door that leads to nowhere or a closet you hardly ever access, you may wish to obstruct its view. An unattractive door can be a distraction in a room, keeping you from enjoying the space the way you want to. Hide the door using one of several potential methods, based on your budget and style.
Place a big furniture piece, such as a tall and wide bookshelf, china cabinet or hutch, in front of the door. Position the furniture so it covers the door completely, obstructing the view.
Hang a curtain rod above the door and attach a curtain that extends beyond either side of the door and drapes to the floor. This method allows for access to the door if necessary.
Span a curtain wire from one side of the wall containing the door to the other, attaching it with eyehooks. Hang from the curtain wire fabric large enough to cover the door and entire wall.
Lean a large picture or mirror tall and wide enough to stretch from one side of the door to the other. You can also hang it directly over the door if possible.
Sarah Schreiber has been writing since 2004, with professional experience in the nonprofit and educational sectors as well as small business. She now focuses on writing about travel, education and interior decorating and has been published on Trazzler and various other websites. Schreiber received a Bachelor of Arts in mass communications.
- Andy Sotiriou/Photodisc/Getty Images
- Baldwin 5225 Lockset Disassembly Instructions
- How to Repair the Ice Door Flap on a Maytag Refrigerator
- How to Increase the Sound of a Door Bell That Rings But You Can't Hear It in the Basement
- How to: Towel Under the Door to Block Sound
- How to Put the Door on a Whirlpool Super Capacity 465 Accubake Oven
- How to Hang an Old Door as Artwork