How to Hook the Refrigerator Water to a Washing Machine Connection
An extra refrigerator in your garage or utility room is great for added convenience. To make it even more convenient, you probably want to connect the water and ice dispenser supply line. If your garage or utility room has finished walls, it may be difficult for you to locate a water line to tap into. However, if you have a washing machine nearby, an easy solution is available. With a simple adapter, you can hook the refrigerator water to a washing machine connection.
Turn off the water supply to the washing machine. Turn the valve clockwise until it stops.
Unscrew the washing machine’s cold-water hose from the supply valve.
Wrap two layers of Teflon tape clockwise around the threads of the supply valve. Screw the female end of a feed water adapter onto the threads of the supply valve. Turn the adapter clockwise until it is hand tight. Turn the adapter an additional half turn with a pipe wrench.
Screw the cold-water hose onto the male threads on the end of the adapter. Tighten the hose until it is hand tight. Tighten it an additional 1/2 turn with the wrench.
Unscrew the nut from the compression fitting on the side of the adapter. Remove the nut and brass ferrule from the fitting.
Run the supply line from the refrigerator to the adapter. Route the line away from sharp edges, hot surfaces and moving objects.
Slide the nut from the compression fitting over the end of the supply line. Slide the ferrule onto the supply line.
Insert the end of the supply line into the fitting on the adapter. Slide the nut down the supply line, and tighten it onto the threads until it is hand tight. Tighten the nut another half turn.
Turn on the water supply.
- You don’t need to tape the male end of the adapter because the water hose has a rubber gasket built into it.
- Sharp bends can create cracks and leaks in the supply line from the refrigerator. Be careful not to kink or bend it during installation.
David Young has written for the website for the Save Darfur Coalition and is currently writing articles for various other websites. Young holds a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy from Western Carolina University.
- Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images
- How to Fix a Whirlpool Washing Machine That Starts and Then Stops After It Fills With Water
- Installation of the Hydrolock Quick Connect
- How to Re-sweat a Leaking Copper Joint
- How to Fix a Leaking Copper Pipe From an Air Conditioner
- How to Make Bleach Neutralizer
- How to Connect Water to a Maytag Refrigerator